Getting ready for the big move……. Here are some moving tips to help get through.
There are so many details to handle as you prepare for a move that it can seem like a daunting task. This checklist should help you manage the process and not forget anything.
- Get some Moving quotes and make sure you have a firm bid in writing.
- Start to slowly pack up things you will not need in the next 30-45 days
Once you have a closing date,
- Call utility companies to cancel current services and sign up for services in your new home. Cancel cable and internet service and arrange for service in your new home. National Grid: (Gas Company): 1-800-930-5003 PSEG: (Electric Company): 1-800-490-0025 Suffolk County Water Authority (Water Company): 1-631-698-9500
- Arrange to move pets, including travel containers, immunization records, etc.
- Moisten plants prior to packing.
- Have any necessary prescriptions filled and carry them with you.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other equipment. Drain water hoses.
- Pack a first night box: coffee, bedding, household cleaners, toothpaste and toothbrush, pet food, and other essentials that you will need upon arrival.
Before you leave the house:
- Conduct a last-minute walk through. Check drawers, closets, basements and the garage.
- Make sure everything is turned off and locked up.